Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)



Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, September 24, 2006

Questions for God

So I'm going through a Beth Moore Bible study right now titled The Patriarchs. In Genesis 18: 16-33 God talks to Abraham about what is going to happen to Sodom and Gomorrah. God tells Abraham that Sodom will be destroyed because of the sins of the people. Abraham reacts like I would and thinks, "What about the innocent people?" Here is what I have never thought about before this study, God allowed Abraham to have this conversation with him ... to voice these doubts about His plan. I've read this account tons of times and never thought twice about why it was in the Bible.

This summer, one of my precious 1st grade Sunday School students and preschool choir students (siblings) lost their father (he also has an older son) to a long battle with breast cancer. He was a wonderful Christian man. He was an encouragement to me everytime I encountered him. When he passed away in July I really didn't see how that could be God's plan. Surely his children and wife still need him?

Now, just 2 months later, I feel like I am facing very similar circumstances. One of my sister's closest friends Kenny was diagnosed with melanoma this year. I think he is 35. He is married with 2 kids (ages 7 and 6). The oldest boy is good friends with my nephew. The cancer has proven very aggressive and has not responded to treatments. It has moved into his liver and his spine and the doctor's are not giving him much hope right now.

Here is where I feel like Abraham. I know my God! I know what He can do! He can take every bit of cancer out of my sister friend. He could have done that for my friend this summer. He chose not to heal Troy this side of heaven and I don't understand why. Will he choose to heal Kenny? I've always felt so bad for questioning what God was doing. God invited Abraham into this conversation about Sodom and Gomorrah. I feel like He wants us to know Him. I don't want to continue questioning why these things happen, but I think it's OK that I want to know God's plan and want to know God's in control.

1 comment:

Chandra said...

On December 20, 2006 Kenny went home to be with Jesus. We praise God for the life he led and pray for strength for his family.